Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Damsel in Distress




















Okay, so my current goal is to get my house in GREAT! shape. As you probably know, if you know me, this is always my goal. Right now, however, it is especially important to me to get my house really clean because I'm going to potty train Carolyn in earnest...again. Alright, if you know me, you know that I've tried to potty train Carolyn before too. This is not a new goal of mine either. But she has to be potty trained some time (hopefully in the near future) and I'm thinking that time is now. A few things in my favor? Carolyn is very aware of when she has to go potty. For example, we'll be doing something and she'll pause and say, "Mom, I'm peeing.....right now." Another thing to my advantage is the fun that we've added to our bathroom. Check out that toilet. If that isn't fun, what is? Carolyn decorated her potty chair herself, and it took a painstaking 1/2 hour for her to do it (she was very particular and true to her vision) while I struggled in vain to keep Lilia from getting into the stickers. And the last thing in my favor? Carolyn wants to be big. She likes to do things herself and she's tired of having my change her diaper. Me too. But back to the cleaning....Carolyn and Lilia are not making it easy for me. That picture of Lilia kissing the mirror was taken mere seconds after I had just cleaned it. I wasn't even finished wiping the streaks off of it before Carolyn and Lilia were at the mirror, like sharks scenting blood, frantically marking and re-marking it (thoroughly, might I add). And that is a pretty much how things work here. I sort of get something clean and they're right there to undo what I've done. But I'm not going to let it get me down, depressed or discouraged. Because I really do want a clean house, and if I'm going to potty train Carolyn (okay, I'm totally going to potty train Carolyn, no "if"s about it) I just can't handle the mess that comes with potty training on top of a messy house. By the way, sorry that video is sideways. I hope that no one got a kink in their neck trying to watch it. We were playing a game this morning, where Carolyn gives me a poison apple (pretend of course) for me to bite and then I "die" until someone, usually Carolyn, gives me a kiss. I thought it would be fun for Carolyn to play the part of the hapless princess and bite the apple. Apparently not.... It was so funny though, that I got the camera and filmed it for your enjoyment. I feel a little bit guilty posting this because you can see that she's obviously upset and offended that I would try to poison her, (it's okay if I take the fatal bite??), but luckily she's way too savvy to fall for that. My baby's no damsel in distress.

4 comments:

Mimi Nowland said...

I am literally laughing out loud. Thank you. I loved the video, she takes that saying "just say no" to a whole new level. Good luck on the potty training, I think that your plan sounds good. Stick with it and it will happen, eventually. Do not be discouraged because, let us be honest, it will take longer than you want it to. Great post!

Stephanie said...

That was such a funny video! Yeah, she's definitely too smart and savvy to fall for that old trick.

I know how it feels to have your work undone before you're even finished. Story of my life lately! It does get frustrating. I don't think our apartment has really looked nice since the night you guys came over for dinner - sad, I know!

Rachelle said...

Parker loved the video!!! We would watch it and when it was over he would say do it again. After six times straight, I said okay this is the last time. Seven times and he still finds it hysterical. He loves the part where Carolyn starts smacking. Fun for all ages!

Anonymous said...

That is so funny. Even after watching that footage with my mom Parker still wanted to watch it with me...over...and over...and over...Ha, ha! It was great! Your girls are so cute! Good luck with your goals!