Thursday, June 19, 2008

Water is Wet, It's True

zz













What I really should call this post is "Technical Difficulties" because I have been trying for days, my friends, to upload videos but I have been unsuccessful. Today Blogger seems to be in a better mood and I've been able to upload at least one video and I'm moving on. So..................


After the debacle Doctor's visit, this week has been pretty fun. On Tuesday we celebrated Carolyn's birthday at the park and it was so much fun. On Wednesday I took Carolyn to Portrait Innovations to get her official 3 year old portrait done and it was also a lot of fun. Do you have a Portrait Innovations near you? If you do, you should go there. Right now. You won't be disappointed, especially if you like to get portraits done on the cheap (I do). Speaking of cheap portraits, I got another "official" 3 year old portrait done at Kiddie Kandids on Friday. They let me down. But's that's okay because I only got my free 8 x 10 sheet, we had a lot of fun shopping,we got to bring JT a treat (Carolyn absolutely loves visiting him at his office) and now I have Portrait Innovations. Did I mention how much I like them? A lot. Anyway, the real highlight of my week was Thursday. The girls and I walked to the park near our church, by way of stroller (yay me! for actually using the stroller at least once a week as planned) and met Shane and his family there. Shane and Melody bought a KFC smorgasbord and the adults relaxed and chatted while the kids all played. We were there for about 2 1/2 hours and if Lilia hadn't needed to eat (shame on me for not bringing her food with us) we could have stayed even longer. Carolyn was having so much fun that I had to use a bribe to get her to happily come home with me. The bribe that I used was the froggie swimming pool that I bought about a week ago. I was so excited to get this pool. I had visions of Carolyn and Lilia swimming like little fish, shrieking with laughter and having a great time while I sat in a lawn chair, under an umbrella, sipping a delicious slurpie of some kind and reading a book. As if I would run the risk of my children drowning while I read a book as my children played in a pool. As if I had a lawn chair. As if I had an umbrella for shade. As if I could be sipping a slurpie without either sharing it or giving it to Carolyn and Lilia. I do have the book though. So my little fantasy was pretty much that, pure fantasy, but I was sure that we'd still have a good time with the pool. I have to admit that when I blew it up, I was a little disappointed. It's a very small pool. We're talking rinky-dink small. But it was still cute and even if we just used it this summer, I would still get my $15 worth out of it. I hauled it outside (yes it's so small that it will fit easily out of my front door, even when it's completely inflated, open froggie mouth and all) and filled it up. Carolyn was dancing around the house in excitement, her eyes were sparkling, and she was giddy with joy. I helped her get into her swim suit, grabbed a blanket for Lilia to play on (I was a little leery about plopping her into the pool without heating the water up a little bit and too tired from my trek to and from the park and lazying around in the sun and all--you know how exhausting that is--to heat the water) and we headed out to our new swimming pool. Carolyn and I swirled our arms into the sparkling, crystal depths of the pool (okay, not that much depth there, but it was shiny) and I waited for Carolyn to splash into the water. I certainly wanted to climb into that pool. The water felt so good on my arms, not too cold at all, and if the pool was slightly bigger, (oh, say the size of my bath tub, maybe?) I would have gotten in with her. The only thing is that the pool is very small and I am not and I would look like an idiot. A great big idiot in a little itty-bitty pool. So I restrained myself. But Carolyn wouldn't get in it either! Oh, she would splash around with her hands a little bit, and she'd play with the ball and tell the ball that it liked the pool, but she wouldn't venture in. She was having a good time with the sprayer though, at least until she got her swimming suit wet with it. Then she started crying that her swimming suit was wet and that it needed to come off. I tried to explain that the purposes of the suit was to get wet, but she wasn't buying it. I thought, foolishly, that if she'd just get in the pool she'd see that it was fun and that it was okay to get wet and so I picked her up and placed her in the pool. She stood up and scrambled out of that pool as quick as a scalded cat and yelled, "It wants to eat me!!!!" her voice squeaky with real fear. "It's a nice froggie, sweetie. It's a fun froggie swimming pool," I tried to coax. Her response? "It wants to CHOMP ME, mama!" I have to confess that I didn't see this coming. When I saw this pool, I thought that it was cute and soft and summer fun. I thought this was a big step toward to us spending time outside and actually liking it. She looked at the pool and no doubt thought, "Oh my gosh, my mom expects me to swim in this 'froggie's' --let's call it was it is, a monster's giagantor mouth. My mom's not too bright, but that's why she has me to look after her. What will she think of next? Playing Candyland on the railroad tracks?" When JT got home, Carolyn had rewritten the incident and told him all about how she and Lilia had played and swam in the froggie swimming pool and how much fun they had had, and how she can't wait to swim again, only the water is "too wet".

2 comments:

Mimi Nowland said...

"CHOMP, CHOMP!" Hopefully she will come to enjoy it and your fantasy will come true! It is a really cute pool, I want one!

Anonymous said...

Hello? What were you thinking? That pool was clearly going to eat your beautiful dragon daughter with the shiny glitter rainbow scales. And it's been a week. Where's the update here? Ha, ha! I'm just kidding! Love you much!